Sometimes you plan an incredible spread for your dinner party and realize day-of that you forgot the apps. Sometimes that friend who you depend on to bring a charcuterie board or chips n' dip or cheese bailed last minute. Sometimes neither of those things have happened but you still say to yourself: I need baked brie ASAP.
Whatever your reason, it's three(ish) ingredients to a fruity, nutty, and aromatic cheese centerpiece that might leave your party too content to move on to that main course.
- Sheet of puff pastry (store bought is fine, or we like this recipe)
- 8-ounce wheel of brie cheese
- Half-jar of Schmutz (we like Fig Hazelnut)
- 1 egg (optional, we did say three-ish ingredients)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Roll out puff pastry until round and about 1/8" in thickness.
- Unwrap your wheel of brie and set it flat. Cut off the top rind, so the brie looks like a kiddie pool.* Set the brie in the center of the puff pastry.
- Place a few generous spoonfuls of Schmutz on the top of the brie, and spread evenly to cover.
- Fold the puff pastry over the top of the brie, trimming off any excess with a knife or kitchen scissors.
- If using the egg: make egg wash by whisking the egg with a splash of water, until well-combined. Brush thin layer of egg wash over the
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
*Is it safe to swim in a pool of brie? Probably not but maybe if my everyday haroset company takes off, we can fund that experiment